ZocdocAnswersI feel like hurting myself or worst. What should I do?

Question

I feel like hurting myself or worst. What should I do?

im feeling hopeless lonely paranoid and sucidal

Answer

That is an excellent question and one that you should seek emergent medical attention for as you could be at risk for harming yourself and only a trained medical professional such as an emergency medicine doctor or psychiatrist can evaluate and treat this. Depending on how serious this is, they may even decide to admit you to the hospital for inpatient evaluation to ensure that you do not harm yourself during this episode. When you discuss this with your doctor, make sure to tell them if you have any underlying medical problems such as depression, schizophrenia, or drug dependency or if you have taken any medications recently to try and commit suicide. They may treat you with medications for your mood or give you medications to counter the effects of drug overdose if that has occurred. It is also very important that they know of drug or alcohol dependency to make sure you do not have withdrawal effects as well. It cannot be stressed enough how important it is that you are evaluated as soon as possible by a trained medical professional and that you should go to an emergency room for this evaluation as there is a risk that you harm yourself or someone else in the meanwhile.