ZocdocAnswersHow likely is it for me to get HSV2 and the flu? between the two, which is more likely?

Question

How likely is it for me to get HSV2 and the flu? between the two, which is more likely?

She takes acyclovir and vitamins as well as I. between the two, which is more likely?

Answer

Thanks for your question. Both of these are quite common, but there are some things that would make one more common than the other. I recommend that you speak with your doctor about your concern. First, if you have regular contact, including intimate contact, with someone who is infected with either of these conditions, then it is most likely that you would have that same infection. Next, the time of year is also relevant, as the influenza virus is most prevalent during the winter months (for a number of reasons). Also, the symptoms are quite different between the two. Those infected with the flu will feel very run down and will often have fevers, chills, aches, and feel quite miserable. While any virus can cause some of these symptoms, most often herpes infections will have only mild systemic effects, with the rest of the effects being more localized to the infected area. While taking anti-virals does help to prevent the spread of these infections, it is not a perfect solution. Over time, partners of people who have herpes are at a much higher risk of contracting the infection than the general population. There is much more information available online, including from the CDC; please speak with your doctor about this question.