ZocdocAnswersWhat could be causing deep pain in my vagina during fingering?

Question

What could be causing deep pain in my vagina during fingering?

I have been having pain inside of my vagina during intercourse that comes and goes. It's usually not with penile intercourse, but it is with fingering. The pain is about two inches in and on my right side. If the general area is touched, pain radiates throughout my pelvic area. It doesn't feel like a cut or anything, it is a very deep pain in one area when touched

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your symptoms. You will need to schedule an appointment with a gynecologist for an accurate diagnosis, as it is not possible to determine the cause of your symptoms without a thorough history and physical exam. Pain during intercourse is termed dyspareunia. There are multiple possible causes, including sexually transmitted diseases, vaginal dryness, vaginal wall trauma, abnormal spasming of the vagina, or abnormalities of the vaginal tract. It is notable that you experience this pain only when a particular area is stimulated. This suggests an abnormality localized to this point. It is possible there is some trauma to the vaginal wall. A localized infection, although uncommon, is also possible. It is also possible that there is an abnormality of the vaginal tract localized to this area. Again, you will need to see a gynecologist to determine the cause. A typical evaluation consists of a thorough history, physical exam, and pelvic exam. If the abnormality is not visualized on pelvic exam, you may require a vaginal ultrasound. Although possibilities include blood or urine tests. I strongly encourage you to consult a gynecologist to determine the next appropriate steps in diagnosis, and I hope you feel better soon.