ZocdocAnswersCan I grow taller?

Question

Can I grow taller?

hi I am 5foot9 120 pounds and I was wondering if you think I could ever dunk a basketball if I did the correct work out

Answer

The answer to this question depends on your age, your sex, and your family history. To a much lesser extent it depends on your diet, but not significantly. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. If you are female and over the age of 17, then you are not likely to grow much more. If are male and over the age of 21, then you are not likely to grow much either. It is near this time and often even a few years earlier that the growth plates begin to close. The growth plates are these spaces in the long bones of the body that allow for more growth. Once they are closed, they do not allow for further growth in height. The most important factor to determine how tall you are is your genetics. If your parents were tall, you will be tall. In general, you will likely be somewhere in between your mother and your father's heights, but this is variable. At 5'9 it is not likely that you will be able to dunk a basketball, even with a very good workout. Again, I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. The two of you can discuss you height, and if needed you can have x-rays of your limbs to see if your growth plates are fused. Your doctor might not want to do this unless you are being considered for growth hormone treatment.