ZocdocAnswersI've been having terrible headaches and other symptoms. Should I be worried?

Question

I've been having terrible headaches and other symptoms. Should I be worried?

Over the past few months I've been having terrible headaches, especially when trying to remember something or thinking hard. It started after I got hit in the back of the head really hard; began to go away a bit, but recently I hit my head again, and not long afterward the vision in my left eye went blurry/ghost images of anything I looked at. This "ghost" image went away, but I'm still having headaches. Should I be concerned?

Answer

After experiencing head trauma, it is very important that you be evaluated by a physician as soon as possible. In order for him or her to obtain a complete history, perform a physical examination, and run any tests that are indicated, I recommend that you now schedule an appointment to see your doctor. Having said that, it sounds as though you have experienced a concussion. Head trauma can often result in the development of a concussion, which is a degeneration of brain cells due to impact with the skull. The brain can even experience a bruise from this type of trauma, and the most dangerous consequence of head trauma is a bleed from one of the blood vessels in the head or brain. Following a concussion, people can experience a variety of symptoms that can last weeks to many months. These include headache (which you are experiencing), nausea and vomiting, decreased ability to concentrate, mood changes, memory impairment, and insomnia to name a few. Your experience of visual changes can also be seen in the acute setting following a concussion. Although there is no specific treatment for concussion, it is important to rule out dangerous side effects of the condition (mentioned above), and the symptoms can be treated with pain medication, sleep aids, mood improving agents, and other treatments. Again, it will be very important for you to be evaluated fully by your physician, and I recommend that you make an appointment to see him or her in the near future.