Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Why does my child respond with hyperactive conventional/naturopathic/homeopathic medicine?"

ZocdocAnswersWhy does my child respond with hyperactive conventional/naturopathic/homeopathic medicine?


My 9 year olf son has a developmental delay and a genetic disorder. He has sensory disorders, signs of ADHD and is a very frightened and neurological child. Has signs of ODD, OCD. No matter what I give him, after 2 days-a week, he responds physically with either bodily tics or hyperactivity. His psychiatrists have never heard of these kinds of responses even to homeopathic/ naturopathic medicines by certified therapists, Bach Flowers as well. He says he prays I find something for him so he stops having nightmares every night. He speaks about death all of the time and is on the surface a very happy child but his inner world is frightening. I've tried (trying) phychological therapy/ movement therapy but with no improvement.


Thank you for this question. It can be very challenging, frustrating and scary for parents who are trying to get help for their child who is suffering from a mental disorder. It certainly sounds like your case is a very complicated one, and it is important to speak with your doctor. Many of the naturopathic and homeopathic remedies that some people seek out and turn to when they are frustrated by the limitations of modern medicine are not well understood or studied. Others are simple attempts by unscrupulous people to take your money. In times of stress when you are seeking to help your child, it can be difficult to determine which is which. In general, while there are limitations and challenges with any treatment regimen, the techniques and tools that are used by professionally trained and certified psychiatrists can be beneficial and have been tested in scientific studies. Unfortunately, they are not always perfect, and many medications will have side effects. Establishing a working relationship with a physician that you trust is therefore imperative to make sure that you eventually get to the outcome that you are working towards, and your son stops suffering from all of his current symptoms. At times, a referral to a tertiary care system may help. Please speak with your doctor.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.