Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Is a brown discharge coming from rectum common if you have IBS?"

ZocdocAnswersIs a brown discharge coming from rectum common if you have IBS?


I have been having lately this smelly brown discharge coming from my rectum, at first I thought it was coming from my vagina as I get it even when I pee but it's definitely from my bum. Been recently put on new medication that I assume is why my bowels have changed to green, those are: docusate sodium tablets as I do have ibs and so far nothing has worked in assisting in stools moving regularly.


Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) is a condition where you have periods of diarrhea and constipation. I recommend that you make an appointment with your primary care doctor or a gastroenterologist. It sounds like you do not have regular bowel movements. You are also taking a stool softener called decussate, which is taken usually for constipation. You have brown rectal discharge. Brown discharge is not specific for IBS. People who suffer from constipation could also have brown discharge. Imagine that your colon is a tube. Hard stool that is blocking the colon has a back up of stool that cannot pass. Eventually, the stool leaks around the hard stool, which could be the brown discharge. It sounds like you have constipation currently. You should eat fiber rich foods and drink plenty of fluids. If you follow a regular healthy diet, your stool should become more solid and soft, which will alleviate the constipation that you have. Relying on doscuate should not be your primary remedy for constipation. Again, if you continue to have brown discharge or constipation, you should make an appointment with your primary care doctor or a gastroenterologist who could examine you thoroughly. They may recommend other tests or medications which could help with your symptoms. If there is any blood or dark stool, you should also contact your doctor.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.