ZocdocAnswersI have lumps all over my body, this included neck, groin, breasts, armpits, and collar bone area. What could it be?

Question

I have lumps all over my body, this included neck, groin, breasts, armpits, and collar bone area. What could it be?

Hi am a 16 year old girl and i have lumps all over my body, this included neck, groin, breasts, armpits, and collar bone area. They are under my skin so you cannot see it you can only feel it. I have a ton on my neck in which some move while others dont some are soft while others are hard and almost all of them cause pain when i press on them. Another thing is there are also lumps present on like my bones you could say so like when u go down my neck so down my spinal cord there are lumps that when pressed they hurt and they are hard i feel like they may have even grown a tad bigger in the past few years. The third thing is my feet, the toes are curved and cause pain also like all the joints feel like they are swollen this is Also present in my fingers and it hurts a lot

Answer

Sorry to hear about your concerns and I recommend that you speak with your doctor. We all have lymph nodes under our skin, as they have an important role in fighting infections. They are involved in the immune response, both in presenting foreign particles to the immune system and also in trapping infectious particles and other things that could hurt us in a localized area. Many people will feel these under their skin, especially people who are naturally quite thin. The areas that you have mentioned are all areas that have a high concentration of lymph nodes, and where these can sometimes be palpated quite readily. As you have implied, being able to feel lumps under your skin can also be a sign of some medical conditions that can be quite serious. For that reason, it is important to speak with your doctor to see if these are more than just benign lymph nodes. There are many other possible explanations, and he or she may feel that it is appropriate to do some testing or imaging to determine what is causing your lumps and bumps. Please speak with your doctor about this question, and also relate to him or her any other symptoms that you may be having.