ZocdocAnswersMy body is really warm but i feel very cold. What could be wrong with me?

Question

My body is really warm but i feel very cold. What could be wrong with me?

My body aches and my heart feels likes its racing at times

Answer

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing these symptoms. It sounds like are you experiencing cold as a reaction to an infectious or inflammatory process. Feeling cold occurs when such a process causes your body to increase your temperature. The increased body temperature gives you a fever, but your body will feel cold until it has fully reached the increased set temperature. Along with feeling cold, you may also experience some chills, which is your body's way of trying to increase heat by causing the muscles to contract. You also sound like you are having myalgias, which is a term to describe generalized muscle pain or body ache. Myalgias can also be a sign of an infection in the body, usually viral. The flu, or influenza, is caused by a virus which can lead to a combination of symptoms that include body ache, fever, and chills. In addition, those with the flu can also have sore throat pain, swollen lymph nodes, and other cold symptoms such as a runny nose and cough. Even after receiving a flu vaccine some may still contract the flu because the vaccine is made annually of strains that scientists predict will be the predominant viruses to cause the illness that year. Sometimes, the scientists will miss a particular strain that may be passed to you. This is only one of many possible infectious or inflammatory conditions which could be the cause of your symptoms. Please visit your doctor who can better help you with managing these symptoms.