ZocdocAnswersDo I have Mitral Valve Prolapse?

Question

Do I have Mitral Valve Prolapse?

hi , i`m from IRAN i had 2 echo , one of them in 05/2011 , and the other on 06/2013 the first echo result was : MVP , Trivial MR , LVEF : 60 , Echocardiographer was a doctor and the second echo result : Normal mitral valve , Mild Mr , Mild Tr , LVEF : 55% , Echocardiographer was a Technician which one is correct !? do i have MVP ? why the results are different !? tnx

Answer

I can understand how these results can be confusing. It is not possible to provide a thorough assessment without seeing the images myself. I strongly encourage you to arrange an appointment with a cardiologist. Your echocardiogram from 2011 suggests that you have mitral valve prolapse, which means that at least one leaflet of your mitral valve has excess tissue. This is an extremely common condition that often does not lead to tissues. This echocardiogram suggests you have a trivial amount of mitral regurgitation, which suggests the prolapse allows a small amount of blood to leak backward in your heart. Your ejection fraction was 60%. This was a measure of how well your heart is pumping and suggests that it is normal. The echocardiogram in 2013 does not comment on any mitral valve prolapse. On this study, both the mitral and tricuspid valves are mildly leaky. Your ejection fraction is at the low end of normal. The differences between study is common, as the interpretation of an echocardiogram depends on the person reading it and the skill of the person interpreting it. I cannot tell if you truly have mitral valve prolapse without seeing the images. I suggest you schedule an appointment with a cardiologist to help you interpret these findings.