Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"My pee has a very very bad odor and it hurts to go pee. What should I do?"

ZocdocAnswersMy pee has a very very bad odor and it hurts to go pee. What should I do?


And I've had this for 2 weeks I also have loss of appetite. And feel tired more offen then ususl.and I feel the need to pee abot 100times a day


Thank you for your question regarding your urinary symptoms. It is possible that you may have a urinary tract infection (UTI), so it is important that you visit your doctor. UTIs are characterized by increased urinary frequency, pain with urination, unusual smell or cloudiness to the urine, feeling of bladder fullness even after relieving yourself, and lower abdominal/pelvic area pressure. UTIs are more common in women than men because of the female anatomy. The urethra (opening where urine is released outside the body) is close in proximity to the anus. Because of this short physical distance between the two openings for bodily waste, bacteria from fecal matter can make its way into the urethra, which can ascend into the bladder and cause a bladder infection. UTIs are quite common in women and I would encourage you to see your doctor about these symptoms. A simple test of the urine can identify whether a bacterial infection has entered the bladder. A short course of antibiotics is then used to treat the UTI, taken by mouth for usually 3-7 days. There are other conditions which could be the source of your symptoms. Another possibility is interstitial cystitis, an inflammatory condition affecting the inner layers of the bladder, which can also mimic a UTI with painful urination and urinary frequency. Therefore, it is important that you visit your doctor to determine the cause for your particular symptoms and to receive timely treatment.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.