ZocdocAnswersShould I go to ER, Urgent Care, or to a Specialist?

Question

Should I go to ER, Urgent Care, or to a Specialist?

Nausea/vomiting, bloating/gas, gastritis, frequent stools that are soft but hard to pass. I also have RBC, WBC, and Protein in my urine.. What could this mean? Should I go to the ER? or see a specialist? What kind of specialist?

Answer

That is an excellent question and one that is difficult to answer based upon the limited information provided. Based upon the limited information you have provided (there is no age, gender, or related comorbidities) it is difficult to know answer your question specifically to the symptoms and issues you are having. In general, an ER would be best if you have concerns that should be evaluated and treated in an urgent or emergent basis. Examples of this include but are not limited to concern for heart attack, bowel obstruction, uncontrolled bleeding from any area, bone fracture, or bleeding within the brain. That being said, anything that is concerning enough for you to feel that you need emergency care is enough to seek emergency care for as you know your body better than anyone else and if you are considering going to an ER, most often, that is the right choice. On the other hand, if you think you can wait to see a specialist and you are not having any symptoms that are concerning enough for you to warrant an ER trip, then a GI specialist would probably be the type of physician to see. Regardless, it is important that you obtain further care as this sounds serious