ZocdocAnswersI had chickenpox and was I treated with the wrong medicine. What will happen to my face?

Question

I had chickenpox and was I treated with the wrong medicine. What will happen to my face?

Hey i had chicken pox they are filled with water the doctor said that the first doctor gave me the wrong medicine and he gave me new medicine do u think it will stay ? Thank you

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you have come down with chicken pox, and that you physician told you that you were mistreated initially, and they put you on a new medication, and you are worried about what might happen to your face. I am happy to give you some information about chicken pox, and some of my initial thoughts about what might be going on, but ultimately I am going to recommend that you make an appointment to be evaluated by a dermatologist (specialist in skin pathology) because they will be able to take more of a medical history and examine you. A history and thorough exam are the cornerstones of making a good diagnosis. Chicken pox is a disease process caused by the varicella zoster virus and presents initially with vesicle (fluid filled blisters) which ultimately progresses to pockmarks which generally heal without scarring. One of the first things that needs to happen is to find out if you are in fact correctly diagnosed with 'chicken pox', or the varicella zoster virus. I am not sure what medicine your physician gave you (or what your age is, which would made a difference overall) but generally speaking overall people usually get over chicken pox without any severe sequelae. When you see a dermatologist they will be able to evaluate you and determine if you do have chicken pox, and if you are on the correct medication. I wish you all the best.