What is causing phlegm to be coming up in my throat during sleep?

Hi, I have had a bad throat cold including a sore throat, runny/blocked nose, blocked ears, coughing, hoarseness, croakiness, difficulty in breathing swallowing and constant mucus from my nose. I just woke up with an odd feeling in my thraot, phlegm was realeaaed into my throat but I couldn't cough it out. Because I was still just waking up, I continued to swallow it, which just brought it back up, kind of like a sensation of reflux or slight vomitting. Everytime the phlegm came, it blocked my throat. After realising that swallowing wasn't working, I rolled over onto my stomach (I woke up on my back although I am usually a stomach sleeper) and it seems to have helped, I haven't had any more phlegm but I still have a thick feeling of it in my throat. I am a teenager and also suffer from Chronic fatigue
I am sorry to hear that you have been dealing with phlegm in your throat and that you have a sore throat, cough, hoarseness, and blocked/runny nose. I am happy to give you my initial thoughts about what might be going on, but ultimately I am going to recommend that you make an appointment to be evaluated by an ENT (Ear Nose Throat) physician to be evaluated. That is because they will be able to take more of a medical history, and examine you thoroughly which is what you need to get an accurate diagnosis. It is not uncommon to have a globus sensation (the feeling that you have a lump in your throat, often feeling like mucous stuck in your throat) during a URI (upper respiratory tract viral infection). This is because there is inflammation of the mucosa (the lining in your throat) that causes both thickening of mucous, and also a hypersensitivity to the normal mucous that is there. This is also the reason that often with a cold, once the mucoid or productive cough has resolved, there continues to be a 'dry' or non-productive cough. One way to find out if there is actually any physical problem with your throat is to get scoped in the office by an ENT. They will be able to look and give you a better idea exactly what is going on.

• Dr. Jonathan Berman
    Dr. Jonathan Berman MD, FACS
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    670 Glades Road
    Boca Raton, FL 33431
  • Dr. Daniel Leeman
    Dr. Daniel Leeman MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    3607 Manor Road
    Austin, TX 78723
  • Dr. Adrian Varela
    Dr. Adrian Varela MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    10330 SE 32nd Ave
    Milwaukie, OR 97222