Do I have diabetes?

Ive also been tested for high blood pessure I think I have diabetes, i have a dark rash on my neck that never goes away, my head hurts, I have blurry vision that suddenly happens and then rappidly goes away
Thank you for your question! There are several tests that can be used to find out if you have diabetes, and I recommend that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician to have this evaluation performed. As you may know, type 2 diabetes is a condition where the body develops resistance to insulin and blood sugar levels become elevated. This can cause many problems down the road, including increased risk of heart attacks, strokes, blindness, and amputation. Most adults with type 2 diabetes do not have obvious symptoms at the time of diagnosis, largely because of improved screening efforts. Those who do have symptoms of high glucose levels may report increased thirst, urinary frequency, and blurry vision. Poorly-controlled diabetes can also cause a dark discoloration of the skin around the armpits or neck called "acanthosis nigricans". The symptoms you describe could be consistent with diabetes, although there are certainly other explanations as well. All adults should be screened for diabetes. Two tests are commonly used for this-- a fasting blood sugar level or a hemoglobin A1c (a rough measure of average blood sugar over 3 months). If the fasting blood sugar is greater than 125 or the hemoglobin A1c is greater than 6.5 on two separate occasions, this makes the diagnosis of type 2 diabetes. Please see your primary care physician to have your screening tests performed, especially as we have many treatments and strategies to help patients with diabetes!