ZocdocAnswersAre random pains around the body normal?

Question

Are random pains around the body normal?

hi, I'm 14 years old and have been having random little pains that only last a short while. most of the time they are pains on my heart area. is this normal?

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your pains. It is hard to say exactly what the cause of your symptoms are without more information, and I would recommend that you schedule an appointment with a pediatrician for further evaluation. Your doctor will likely ask you numerous questions about your pain, and if you can answer them clearly it will be helpful to determine a diagnosis. For example, it is important to know when you first started having pain, what it feels like (stabbing, dull, burning, etc.), how long it lasts, what activities make the pain better or worse, and if the pain is associated with any other symptoms. In a healthy 14-year-old, a serious cause of intermittent pain is unlikely. Pain in the chest, as you are describing, often comes from the muscles or bones, possibly from straining or minor injury. This is usually harmless and improves with over-the-counter pain medicines and rest. Chest pain can also come from the lungs. At your age, if you are wheezing or short of breath, you should be evaluated for asthma. Finally, consuming lots of spicy foods, chocolate, or caffeine can lead to acid reflux from the stomach which can cause chest pain. Most teenagers who have occasional chest pain do not have a problem with the heart (fewer than 1%). In any case, you should see your pediatrician to discuss some of these possibilities, especially if your pain is getting worse. I hope that you feel better soon!