ZocdocAnswersI have a sore throat.Is it serious?

Question

I have a sore throat.Is it serious?

Hello I have a sore throat from two days. I took the pills, but did not help, also hot tea, honey and lemon. I decided to check my throat and noticed small bubbles in the bottom right of my mouth. I have pain when I swallowing and move my little tongue in mouth on closed. I have not noticed such a thing ever ? thanks

Answer

A sore throat is a common symptom that many people experience. A sore throat could be caused by a bacteria or a virus. Viral infections are common and could be a component of a common cold. Another common viral infection is mononucleosis which can cause sore throats. It is most common in young individuals and are transmitted from the exchange of saliva. Bacteria infections are more concerning because they can damage organs such as the kidney and the heart. A strep throat can cause rheumatic heart disease or glomerulonephritis. You should make an appointment with your primary care doctor to have your sore throat examined. If your doctor believes that it could be a condition called strep throat, then you may get your throat swabbed to identify the organism and you may be treated with antibiotics. People with strep throat have a sore throat and fever but they do not have a cough. The back of the throat could be red with tonsilar exudates. If you develop fevers, trouble breathing, or unable to eat or drink for more than a day, you should go to your emergency room. In the mean time, you should receive supportive care such as fluids and rest.