ZocdocAnswersIs joint pain one of the symptoms of having a heart problem?

Question

Is joint pain one of the symptoms of having a heart problem?

I usually felt a joint pain and I also had a sinus arrhythmia. This two are related?

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your symptoms. I strongly urge you to discuss this further with your primary care physician, as it is not possible to provide an accurate diagnosis without a thorough, in-person history and physical exam. A sinus arrhythmia indicates that your heart's electrical signals are progressing through the normal pathways, but your heart rate varies with your respiratory rate. This is typically a benign finding. However, it is important for an experienced physician to interpret your actual EKG tracing, as the automated readout from the EKG machine is not adequate. Joint pain can be caused by many disorders. Osteoarthritis occurs through breakdown of a joint over time, usually through wear and tear. Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disorder that can lead to joint destruction. If you suffer from psoriasis, you can also develop psoriatic arthritis, and patients with lupus can suffer from joint pain. Finally, ligament and tendon injuries can lead to joint pain. It is not possible to know the cause of your joint pain from your question, and you should discuss this with your doctor. In rare cases, rheumatoid arthritis and lupus can lead to a cardiomyopathy. However, you will need to see a physician to determine if this is a possibility in your case.