ZocdocAnswersWhy do I look pregnant?

Question

Why do I look pregnant?

I look 7 or 8 months pregnant. I have elevated hormones (prolactin) according to my doc. I know I am NOT pregnant. I weighed 130 in June of 2012 and now have weighed 210 since Feb 2013. I exercise for 1 hr a day and eat healthy. I am starting to think this is something medical. My doc has said it is not a tumor or anything in my brain. Please help me figure this out. I do not want this huge stomach anymore!!

Answer

That is a significant amount of weight for anyone to gain over such a short period of time, and I agree with you that this could be something medical. It is prudent for you to speak with your doctor further about this to make sure that you do not have something more that is causing this weight gain. If you have elevated prolactin, there are a number of possible reasons for this to happen, but it certainly could be related to some of your weight gain. A pregnancy test is a very simple thing that can be done to help ensure that you are not pregnant, and is an expectation in any woman who is of child bearing age, as it would be ridiculous for any doctor to overlook this as a possibility. Once this has been excluded, then further blood work may be in order. An endocrinologist may be able to provide additional insight beyond what your doctor has suggested up to this point, and may also recommend some imaging that could help you to determine what is causing this weight gain. He or she will also likely be interested in other symptoms you may have. Please speak with your doctor.