Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What is wrong with me knee? "

ZocdocAnswersWhat is wrong with me knee?


Okay so I'm just wondering if you can help with this question at all. In my flag football league I was minding my knee. And it would hurt so bad after a game I could barely walk. Then it would be alright until the next game. And then in one game I turned and it really hurt. Now ever since then. About 3 months now it still hurts when I twist it weird or take off in a sprint or cut. And it really effects me. I'm 20 and don't feel like having this forever. My next season starts in January. I feel it in the back of my knee it seems. What could it be?


I am sorry to hear about your pain. It sounds like it is significantly affecting your quality of life. In order to determine the cause of your symptoms, it will be necessary to review the details of your medical history as well as perform a thorough physical exam. You may also need an x-ray or MRI of your knee. Therefore, I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon. After collecting this information, the doctor can make recommendations on the next most appropriate steps. There are multiple structures in the knee that can cause pain. You may have suffered an injury to one of the ligaments that stabilize the joint, such as the ACL, MCL, or PCL. These injuries often require surgery. You may also have injured your meniscus, which is a piece of cartilage that cushions the joint. There are multiple bursa, or fluid filled sacs that cushion the joint, that can become inflamed and cause pain. Damage to one of the muscles controlling the joint as well as to the patella can cause pain. In order to determine the specific cause, you will need to be seen by an orthopedic surgeon, and I encourage you to raise these possibilities with the doctor.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.