ZocdocAnswersI have strep throat and I've been getting this heavy feeling on my chest. Should I be worried?

Question

I have strep throat and I've been getting this heavy feeling on my chest. Should I be worried?

This is the second time I've has strep this year

Answer

Thanks for your question, and sorry to hear about these recurrent infections. First, with regards to the heavy feeling that you describe on your chest, this is something that you should discuss with your doctor. There are many different possible explanations, and some of them may need immediate medical attention. There are others that are less urgent, such as a descending upper airway infection that goes on to become something such as a pneumonia or bronchitis that may also need medical attention in the near future. It is difficult to say more than just some random possibilities without much more information than you have provided here. With regards to your recurrent strep infections, there are some criteria that most surgeons will use before deciding whether or not to recommend removing your tonsils. Usually, the number is 3 in a year, but does vary somewhat depending on the severity of the symptoms and how much they are affecting you. For example, if you have other infections or problems when you have strep throat, your doctor may decide that removing your tonsils may be in your best interest to keep you healthy in the long run. Please speak with your doctor about this.