ZocdocAnswersI have elevated liver enzymes due to Hepatitis C. Could my job degenerate my health?

Question

I have elevated liver enzymes due to Hepatitis C. Could my job degenerate my health?

is working in masonry with all the dust from mortar and lime and other materials hazardous to my health and safety .especially with my liver condition?should i consider a different line of work

Answer

I don't think that your line of work will have much of an impact on your liver function or your hepatitis C infection. You should probably consider another line of work if you think you are routinely handling hazardous materials, but I would say that regardless of any medical condition you had. With that said, you should probably consider being treated for your hepatitis C if you still have an active infection, and I recommend speaking with a gastroenterologist. Hepatitis C is one of the leading causes of cirrhosis of the liver which might happen you if you don't undergo treatment at some point. I don't know of any association of environmental exposures (such as dust or mortar) and worsening of hepatitis C. I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with a gastroenterologist. The two of you can discuss the most recent hepatitis C treatments and what treatment regimen might be right for you. Classically, interferon-based treatments have been what has been offered and these were sometimes difficult to tolerate due to side effects. However, new regimens that are just coming out in some cases have been shown to be just as effective without the interferon. Therefore, you do potentially have a chance for a cure with medications that are well-tolerated.