Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What's this small lump on my testicle?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat's this small lump on my testicle?


Hi I've got a small lump on my right testicle. It's very small, a bit smaller than a tomato seed. It's hard lump, but doesn't hurt me.


I am sorry to hear about your symptoms. I encourage you to arrange an appointment with a primary care physician to further evaluate this issue. You will require a thorough history and physical exam. Depending on these findings, you may require referral to a urologist. In someone who develops a testicular lump, there is always concern for testicular cancer. This is most common in young men and is a serious condition. However, other testicular lumps may be benign. For instance, a normal structure on the posterior testicle is the epididymis. This is often identified as a lump on self exam and can lead to concern for a tumor. However, it is a normal structure. The testicles are normally oblong and can have an irregular contour as a normal variant, so this is also a possible explanation for your findings. However, given the concern for testicular cancer, I encourage you to see a primary care physician. After a thorough testicular exam, you may require a testicular ultrasound to further characterize any testicular abnormalities. Depending on these findings, you may also need blood tests, which can be abnormal in certain types of tumors. If these findings are concerning, you will likely be referred to a urologist.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.