ZocdocAnswersDo i have HIV/aids?

Question

Do i have HIV/aids?

I masturbate vaginally I have anal fissures i only ask because the two areas are close and I'm a little worried thanks

Answer

It is important that you schedule an appointment with your primary care doctor. When somebody asks me if they are at risk of having HIV, the first questions I ask them are about their specific risk factors for obtaining this infection. The most important risk factor for obtaining the HIV virus is having unprotected sex with multiple partners. It also depends on what type of sex you are having. Anal sex carries the highest risk. The second major risk factor is the use of IV drugs. If you have used IV drugs in the past and of shared needles with other people this is certainly another risk factor for HIV. Masturbating is not a risk for HIV and neither is anal fissures. The fact that these two areas are close play no role in whether or not you have HIV. Again, I would suggest you schedule an appointment with a primary care physician. The CDC recommends that everybody get tested for HIV at least once in their life. Perhaps now is a good time for you. The test is quite simple and can give you the peace of mind that you do not have this infection. If you carry no risk factors for HIV, your doctor might just give you reassurance and provide you with education on how to prevent this infection in the future.