ZocdocAnswersDoes Tietze's syndrome last more than a year?

Question

Does Tietze's syndrome last more than a year?

I am 20 years old and I have had this severe pain in my chest that was located on the 2nd rib next to the sternum. The doctor said it was tietze's syndrome due to the swelling and not Costochondritis. That was a year ago and the pain has been off and on for a year now and anti-inflammatory pills are not working, over the counter or prescribed. Does tietze's normally last this long?

Answer

Hello. I am sorry to hear that you are still having issues with this. As your doctor probably explained to you, Tietze's syndrome is swelling of the second and third ribs, most often happening in young people. It is not completely understood why it happens, but it seems that it most often gets better after about 12 weeks, although in some cases it can last for longer. That being said, the fact that you are having pain and your prescribed medications aren't helping you, leads me to believe that perhaps something else is going on or you may benefit from being evaluated from your doctor. There are many causes of chest pains, and in someone who is your age (20), it is less likely something having to do with the heart and more likely something having to do with the muscles, the bones, the joints, or sometimes stomach causes (like acid reflux). Given that you are having this pain on and off and that the medications prescribed for you do not seem to be helping, I would highly recommend that you see your primary care physician about it and have him or her re-examine you and make sure that this is still the most appropriate diagnosis.