ZocdocAnswersI have a sore lymph and left upper jaw without any tooth pain. What could it be?

Question

I have a sore lymph and left upper jaw without any tooth pain. What could it be?

Seems to be sore when I swallow anything. On my left lymph node under left jaw, and behind my last upper left molar. No tooth pain at all.

Answer

I am sorry to hear you are having throat pain, in addition to sore lymph nodes. There could be a number of different conditions that could be responsible for the symptoms you are describing. It is difficult to guess what might be happening with you without seeing your doctor. Therefore, I encourage you to visit your primary care physician who can perform a physical exam and ask you more detailed questions about the events leading up to these symptoms. That being said, a sore throat and enlarged, tender lymph nodes are symptoms often associated with mononucleosis, or mono ("the kissing disease"). People with mono tend to experience fatigue, a sore throat, swollen lymph nodes and may also develop a fever. Usually, mono will resolve on its own without treatment, but those with the illness should avoid contact sports as mono can cause the spleen to be vulnerable to trauma. Strep throat is another condition which can cause fever, painful sore throat, enlarged lymph nodes, and sometimes pus on the tonsils. In contrast to mono, strep throat is caused by a bacteria and must be treated with antibiotics to avoid serious complications later which include conditions such as scarlet fever and rheumatic fever. Please visit your doctor who can better determine what may be the source of your symptoms.