Why am I gagging after eating a few bites of food?

I have always had a small stomach so I have never been a big eater, but over then past 6 months it's has increasingly gotten worse. The amounts of food I am able to eat before feeling really full have gotten less and less. But over the past month it has gotten to the point where I don't feel full, I just start gagging after about 5-6 bites. If I try to force it down I throw up. I can drink anything I want.I am 5'8 and 122lbs. I can't afford to lose any weight. I'm not on any meds. And I have not been diagnosed with anything. I will be going to see a Dr. though. This is a typical day of eating for me. This what I was able to get down yesterday... B: 1/2 cup cereal w/milk L: 1/2 sandwich ( I couldn't eat the last 2 bites ) w/ glass of milk D: 1/2 of a 1/2 of sloppy joe's sandwich 1 Tbls of beans and 3 chips w/ a beer Thanks
So sorry to hear about this problem! It certainly sounds like a difficult challenge to live with, and I am glad that you are going to see a doctor. First, it is important to recognize that liquids can fill quite a bit of the volume in your stomach, and that things like milk can be quite filling. That being said, they are quite healthy and most people feel that they are vital to helping establish good bone health. There are things that can be a problem either in your stomach or in your esophagus and can lead to this sort of complaint. Gastroparesis is somewhat unusual in a patient with no other medical conditions, but your doctor could ask some additional questions and do some further testing if he or she was concerned about this. There are other conditions of the smooth muscles of the upper digestive tract, or even the lower tract, that could cause this sort of problem, and even severe constipation can lead to unusual things in some people. Given the wide range of possible explanations, please speak with your doctor to make sure that you are healthy and determine if you need supplements, and to get the answers you need.

Other Gastroenterologists

• Dr. Jeffrey Cryan
    Dr. Jeffrey Cryan MD
    Gastroenterologist
    329 Commons Way
    Toms River, NJ 08755
  • Dr. Anna Korkis
    Dr. Anna Korkis MD
    Gastroenterologist
    200 South Broad Street
    Ridgewood, NJ 07450
  • Dr. Jozsef Duhl
    Dr. Jozsef Duhl MD
    Gastroenterologist
    1030 St. Georges Ave
    Avenel, NJ 07001