ZocdocAnswersCan aspirin prevent any cardiac related problems?

Question

Can aspirin prevent any cardiac related problems?

Sir my father is aged 53 yrs and i being a medico can i suggest him aspirin to prevent any cardiac related problems.he is not suffering from any gastrointestinal ulcers and he is having a habit of smoking.what is the commercial name of it and how much dosge can be used?

Answer

Aspirin is one of the most important preventative medications that can be used for patients that are susceptible or might be susceptible to coronary artery artery disease or heart attacks. Even though aspirin can be purchased over the counter, we really recommend that you get clearance by your doctor or in this case your father's doctor prior to going on this medication because it does have side effects. In general, I recommend that my patients in whom I feel it is appropriate take 81 mg of aspirin per day which can act to prevent platelet aggregation and therefore reduce the risk of a heart attack. In people that have significant G.I. ulcers or gastritis which is inflammation of the stomach lining, you have to weigh the risks and the benefits of using aspirin since it can worsen this condition. In addition, in some patients that have kidney failure, you also have to weigh the risks and benefits. If your father has no kidney or intestinal problem, and has some risk factors for cardiac disease (such as smoking), then he should probably consider taking an aspirin under the guidance of his doctor. Again, I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with his primary care physician for further help making this decision. Good luck.