ZocdocAnswersI have a bladder infection and its bleeding when I pee. What should I do?

Question

I have a bladder infection and its bleeding when I pee. What should I do?

It hurts really bad when I urine and while whipping there's light blood on the paper and my urine in cloudy what should I do

Answer

You mention that you have a bladder infection and hematuria (blood in your urine). You should make an appointment with your primary care doctor to discuss your symptoms. Urinary tract infections (UTI) can occur anywhere in the urinary tract from the urethra to the kidneys. It is more common in women than in men. Women have a shorter urethra and bacteria are more prone to entering the urinary system that route. UTI can cause increased urination, foul and cloudy urine, fevers, and dysuria (pain on urination). UTI can occur in the bladder and cause abdominal discomfort, urinary urgency, and increased urinary frequency. It can cause some blood in the urine. Blood in the urine is not normal and should be evaluated to find out where it is coming from. It could be from an infection, stone, malignancy. Again, you should make an appointment with your primary care doctor to discuss your symptoms. An infection can be identified with a urine study. You may need to take antibiotics. Your doctor may also want to perform imaging such as a ultrasound to further guide treatment. A stone can cause pain and hematuria. Some stones pass on their own and others may need interventions. Lastly, malignancy should be ruled out since you have hematuria. It is not clear what is causing your hematuria though it sounds like you may have seen a doctor already for your bladder infection. You should follow up with your doctor as soon as possible.