ZocdocAnswersI have a lump behind my right ear. What could it be?

Question

I have a lump behind my right ear. What could it be?

Its not in hair line and its above my lymph node. if i were to guess the size i woyld say maybe about two peas. ive been having major head acks which are getting worse. i dont know if it is related but my right arm has been throbbing right above my rist areaand the back of biseps

Answer

Thank you for this question. Any time that there is an abnormal bump anywhere in the body, it is something that should be discussed with your doctor. While there is often a simple explanation, there are many instances in which it is a sign of something very serious that requires further medical therapy to help you both get better and avoid becoming worse. With regards to lymph nodes, there are many of these that are spread throughout your body, and so it could be that what you are feeling is just another lymph node that is slightly higher than some of the other ones that you may have felt in the past. Lymph nodes become swollen when a person has an infection, when there is a cancer, when there is an auto-immune problem, or many other reasons in which the immune system is activated for some reason. In the region in which you are feeling this lump, it is also common for patients to have some muscle tightness that can feel like a mass beneath the skin. Relaxation techniques, massage, etc, can all be helpful in some of these situations. There are other explanations as well. Again, please speak with your doctor about this question.