ZocdocAnswersI have a sharp pain in my left breast. What could it be?

Question

I have a sharp pain in my left breast. What could it be?

I'm 14 and have a sharp pain in my left breast. It hurts to breath, lay down (hurts 10x worse on my right side).

Answer

Thank you very much for your question and I recommend that you be evaluated by a physician or other qualified health professional. Pain in one's breast is not uncommon although, depending on one's age, personal medical history, family history, medications, and other environmental risk factors. You may be experiencing pain that is related to your menstrual cycle and changes in your body's hormonal secretion. You may be experiencing musculoskeletal pain that is actually affecting your intercostal muscles or ribs. You may have back pain that is affecting the nerves that also innervate your chest wall. Sometimes, you may have a breast mass that is causing breast pain. A breast mass may be secondary to a benign lump, fibrocystic breast tissue, a breast abscess (an infection of the breast with pus), or a malignant breast tumor. If you have a lump associated with your pain, you may also have a breast cyst. It is not possible to receive a diagnosis without being evaluated by a physician or other qualified health professional. I suggest that you make an appointment to be seen by your primary care doctor, OB/GYN, or local health center. They can perform a thorough history and physical examination and recommend appropriate testing to come to a diagnosis and potential management plan.