ZocdocAnswersHow do I know if a lump in my thigh is serious or not?

Question

How do I know if a lump in my thigh is serious or not?

I recently found a strange lump on my right thigh slightly on the inside and about three inches from my knee. It is about two or so inches across and does not seem to be discolored. Since noticing this I have had a frequent tingling in my lower leg and foot. It is painful when touched and caused a shooting pain down my leg and makes my toes go numb. I work with kids and often get kicked and hit but do not remember and injury to this area. How can I know if this is something serious?

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your symptoms. It is important for you to schedule an appointment with a primary care physician to further evaluate this lump. It is not possible to provide an accurate diagnosis without knowing the full details of your medical history and without performing a thorough physical exam. The lump on your leg may be a lipoma, or benign, fatty tumor. It could also be a tumor of one of your leg's nerves, which could explain why manipulating it causes shooting pain and numbness. It could be an aneurysm or arteriovenous malformation of one of your legs blood vessels, which could potentially lead to compromise of your circulation. Alternatively, it could be a bone tumor or a tumor of your thigh muscle. Abscesses, or pockets of pus secondary to bacterial infections, can occur on the thigh and often require incisional drainage. Because of the range of possibilities, you will require evaluation by a primary care doctor. Certain features, such as the rate of growth and location on the leg, will help your doctor know the possible causes. You may require a CT scan or MRI to further evaluate the mass, and you may need to have it removed for further evaluation. I recommend you discuss these possibilities with a primary care doctor.