Does smoking cause tonsil swelling?

my tonsils have been swollen from august and ive taken antibiotics but they didnt work. and after this winter i am going to have them removed, and i am a smoker
I am sorry to hear that you have swollen tonsils since August, and you are worried that it may be due to the fact that you are a smoker. I am happy to give you some information about tonsils, tonsillectomy, and reasons for a tonsillectomy, but ultimately I am going to recommend that you make an appointment to be seen by an ENT (Ear Nose Throat) physician. They will be able to examine you, ask questions, and give a more specific answer to you. When most people are referring to 'tonsils' they are talking about the pharyngeal tonsils. Truth is, there are other tonsils (such as the lingual tonsils on the back of your tongue). All tonsils are lymphoid tissue, which means that if the immune system is activated for some reason (such as an infection) then the lymphoid tissue will swell. This is one (very common) cause for tonsils to be swollen (recurrent infections). There are, of course, many other causes for tonsillar swelling. Including a more sinister process such as a cancer. This would typically be unilateral (one sided) and present with pain or difficulty swallowing. The biggest risk factor for developing a tonsil cancer is smoking, so with your risk factors, I think that it is worthwhile to get evaluated by an ENT. they will be able to tell you what they think is going on, and see if you have any exam findings concerning for a tonsil cancer.

• Dr. John Austin
    Dr. John Austin MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    7200 Wyoming Springs Drive
    Round Rock, TX 78681
  • Dr. Patricia Gilroy
    Dr. Patricia Gilroy MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    2299 9th Ave N
    Saint Petersburg, FL 33713
  • Dr. Bradley Johnson
    Dr. Bradley Johnson DO
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    3366 Oakdale Ave N
    Robbinsdale, MN 55422