How can I control asthma attacks?

For the pasy 20 years I have been using cotton buds to clean my ear canal to avert asthmatic attacks. If I fail to do so or delay, the itch graduates to include my eyes to eye, face and bronchial and initiates an asthmatic attack. What can I do? My ear is so clean I am afraid I am damaging it.
Let me start off by saying that I do not think there is any biological or physiological reason why cleaning your ears could have anything to do with the development of asthmatic attacks. With that said, I can certainly talk about what could be a good treatment for you to prevent asthma and recommend that you schedule an appointment with a pulmonologist. The treatment for asthma depends first on how often you are getting attacks. If you are getting asthma attacks more often than a few times per week, then you probably need more than just a rescue inhaler. Most patients are treated with an inhaled steroid. The inhaled steroid calms down inflammation within the lungs and helps prevent the development of asthma attacks in the future. It is important to take this kind of medication every day. Some patients still need to use the rescue inhaler (that contains the medication albuterol) that can react immediately to help you breathe. I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with the pulmonologist (lung specialist). The reason I would suggest that you go to a specialist is that I think that it will be worthwhile for you to have pulmonary function testing (PFTs) to make sure that it is asthma that you have before you undergo any further treatment.

Nearby Pulmonologists

Other Pulmonologists