ZocdocAnswersWhat did I do to my knee?

Question

What did I do to my knee?

I'm 16 years old and I was playing basketball and I jumped and landed and my knee twisted really bad and it has been swollen since the incident happened a week ago and the pain is on the inside of my knee and it hasn't gotten any better. When I walk I have to limp because it feels like my knee will just give way.

Answer

You jumped, and twisted your knee. It was swollen. You also have pain and you feel that your knee is unstable. You most likely injured your knee from the abnormal landing, which is not uncommon. You should make an appointment with an orthopedic doctor to have your leg examined. The possible injuries could be a ligament tear or a meniscus tear or fracture. The knee joint is made of ligaments and tendons that attach muscle to the joint. They are located on the front, back, and sides of the joint. The meniscus is located between the joint where the long bones join. Swelling immediately after the injury may suggest a ligament tear. It is hard to determine which ligament it is at this point since I cannot examine you. Since you mentioned that you twisted your knee, you may also have a meniscus injury. Fractures are also common. They could be very small fractures that could cause pain. Again, you should make an appointment with an orthopedic doctor to have your leg examined. They may do imaging scans such as a x-ray or an MRI. Depending on the specific injury, you may or may not need surgery. You can also ask about the types of physical therapy offered for your injury.