ZocdocAnswersWhat are my chances of getting a stomach virus? How long does it take?

Question

What are my chances of getting a stomach virus? How long does it take?

On Thursday and Friday I worked at a daycare. One baby had the stomach virus but the rest came down with it on Friday night and the weekend. Then my mother got it on Sunday (she also works at the daycare but full time), she was only nauseous and dizzy it then went away and she feels fine. I have a huge fear of throwing up and I am extremely scared! Please help! Thank you

Answer

So sorry to hear about so many people becoming ill. I recommend that you discuss your concern with your doctor. There is always a concern when you are around others with an infectious disease that you may also become infected. The best clues that you can have about whether or not you will get infected as well and how the disease will affect you come from watching others who have been affected. Given that so many people seemed to become ill within a short period of time, it could be expected that the incubation period (how long after being exposed to an illness before you become ill and have symptoms) would likely be short for you as well. Of course, if the others had been exposed previously, it could seem that the incubation period is shorter than it really is, so it's hard to say for sure. The best thing that you can do is to wash your hands frequently and not touch your face. This will greatly reduce your risk of becoming infected and also of passing on the infection. If you have any other medical conditions that make you are risk, you may want to take additional precautions. Please speak with your doctor about this question to see if there is more you should do. Good luck!