ZocdocAnswersShould I take paxil 20mg or 30mg?

Question

Should I take paxil 20mg or 30mg?

I have ben on paxil 20mg for 18 years and in my infinite wisdom decided to wean myself off. i had a relapse in mid november and my doctor put me back on 20mg. I went to see my doctor last week and he upped me to 30mg but i decided to stay on 20mg for 3 days more to see if it would work and it did but then i decided to take the 30mg he prescribed now its making me feel worse. i have been on 30mg for 2 days.is it safe to go back down to 20mg?I dont want to end making it worse still

Answer

The right dose of Paxil has everything to do with how you feel, and nothing to do with some arbitrary number, so it is important to discuss it with your doctor. It sounds like you were doing well on 20 mg per day for a long time. If your doctor instructed you to wean yourself off, this was not an unreasonable thing to try to do. Many physicians including myself try to wean patients off of antidepressants sometime after a year if they have been doing well on them for a long time. If they have a relapse of depression or anxiety (or panic attacks as well) while off of the antidepressant, then they need to go back on it probably indefinitely. You started taking Paxil 20 mg again. If you felt better on 20 mg and were no longer depressed, then there is no medical reason for you to go up to 30 mg. Can you remember if you said something to your doctor on 20 mg that made him or her feel that you needed a higher dose? That would be the only reason I can think of that your doctor instructed you to go up. Again, I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician to discuss this issue further. Good luck.