ZocdocAnswersHow long after taking metronidazole may I have a glass of wine?

Question

How long after taking metronidazole may I have a glass of wine?

IC Metronidazole 250 mg tablets for 15 days.

Answer

I recommend that you discuss this with your health care provider. Metronidazole is an antibiotic that is prescribed by medical providers to treat a variety of conditions. These includes infections caused by anaerobic organisms and organisms that causes bacterial vaginosis. Flagyl, as it is also another name for metronidazole, can react with alcohol if taken within 3 days of alcohol intake. This reaction is thought to be secondary to inhibition of alcohol metabolism. Alcohol is normally metabolized by enzymes in the liver including aldehyde dehydrogenase which is thought to be inhibited by metronidazole. Alcohol gets converted into aldehyde which is then further metabolized by this enzyme. Thus, theoretically, when a person takes metronidazole and alcohol at the same time, toxic levels of acetaldehyde may accumulate in the blood. This is in turn, is thought to lead to the reactions seeing in patients that have taken alcohol while taken metronidazole. The reactions that may develop includes flushing, nausea, vomiting, fast heart beat, elevation in blood pressure. Thus, whenever you are taking this medication, or any other medications (as many medications can interact with alcohol use) you should check with your health care provider to make sure when it is safe for you to take alcohol. This will prevent your medication from not working or from causing side effects that may be harmful to your health.