ZocdocAnswersI am having sharp pain in my left side of lower abdomen. What could it be?

Question

I am having sharp pain in my left side of lower abdomen. What could it be?

It comes and goes every few seconds continuously. I don't have any urinary problem.

Answer

Left lower abdominal pain can have multiple causes, some benign and others more serious, therefore I recommend that you see your doctor or a healthcare professional for formal evaluation. They can provide the appropriate testing and treatment if necessary. Left lower abdominal pain in some cases may be due to a musculocutaneous injury, for example a muscle strain of the abdominal wall muscles. If you have recently started a new workout regimen or injured that side of your body, injured muscle could be the culprit. Other organ systems we consider include the GI tract, the urinary tract and the reproductive system. Regarding the GI tract, constipation or irritation of the small or large intestine can result in low abdominal pain. Irritation can be a result of infection, irritable bowel syndrome, or in some cases inflammatory conditions. Though rare, a malignancy of the intestines can produce lower abdominal pain. In the urinary tract, infection of the kidney, ureter, bladder or urethra may all produce abdominal pain. If the inflammation is in the kidney, either due to stones or infection most commonly, patients may also have back pain. Urinary tract stones, when passing can producing intermittent, colicky pain in the lower abdomen that can be quite severe. Often times patients will have no other symptoms other than pain when passing a stone. Particularly with females, reproductive organs including the ovaries and fallopian tubes can be the source of low abdominal pain. Given the many potential causes, I recommend that you see your doctor for a formal evaluation and workup.