Is it safe to dye my hair if I have a bald spot (alopecia)?

I've had a bald spot for about two months now due to stress apparently, so is it safe to dye my hair with that or will more fall out?
Thanks for your question. Dyeing hair is something that is commonly done. With regards to whether or not it is safe, it depends on the type of product that you are using, and it also depends on what specifically you are referring to - so I recommend that you speak with your doctor. In other words, safety with regards to the product being absorbed by your body and into your system is one thing, while safety with regards to causing further hair loss is entirely different. With regards to the first, most hair dyeing products are formulated to not be absorbed excessively into the system in any meaningful manner. With that being said, there are some recommendations and regulations that are suggested for people such as pregnant women, which does imply that some of the product is likely to be absorbed in almost all situations (through the scalp). Having a bald spot may or may not increase your risk of absorption, depending on how the product is applied and used. With regards to whether or not the dye will make your hair fall out, the products are designed to not cause that sort of problem because that would be detrimental to overall effect. Your doctor and cosmetologist can provide more help. Please speak with your doctor.