ZocdocAnswersWhy I'm I sweating so much all of a sudden?

Question

Why I'm I sweating so much all of a sudden?

I'm an 17 year old male. I am healthy and just a bit overweight. About a month ago I started sweating a lot more. Whoever I got out of the house I swear more than I do at home, but I'm always sweating through my clothes. Whether I'm hot or cold I'm always sweaty. The main spots are my arm pits and my groin/crotch. I've tried different deodorants and nothing helps. What is happening here?

Answer

Thank you for your question about excessive sweating, also known as hyperhidrosis. Hyperhidrosis can be a particularly embarrassing condition with a significant impact on your daily life. Sometimes sweating can be a sign that something else is going on with your body, such as an infection, rare tumor, or side effect from medications. Hyperthyroidism is an example of a condition associated with sweating. However, it is also accompanied by other symptoms such as rapid heart rate, weight loss, brittle hair, and feeling hot constantly. Therefore, it is important that you visit your doctor to rule out an underlying cause for your excessive sweating that may be treatable. If there is no identifiable cause, you will need to manage hyperhidrosis by treating its symptoms. Store bought deodorants contain metals, usually aluminum, which physically block the opening of sweat glands. If these have not been helpful for you, prescription antiperspirants might be another option. Prescription deodorants contain a higher percentage of the metals found in store deodorants and may be more effective. Botox injections are another potential option. They are FDA approved for treating underarm sweating and work by blocking the release of a chemical that triggers sweat production. Again, You should speak with your doctor for further work up and management of your excessive sweating.