ZocdocAnswersI have self-diagnosed my condition as patulous Eustachian tube. What should I do?

Question

I have self-diagnosed my condition as patulous Eustachian tube. What should I do?

Is there any way to treat this condition? Will it ever go away?

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you think that you may have a patulous eustachian tube, and that you are worried about how to treat it, and whether it will ever go away. I am happy to give you some general information, as well as what I think might be going on, but ultimately I am going to recommend that you make an appointment to be evaluated by an ENT (Ear Nose Throat) physician. You may even want to be evaluated by an otologist, which is a subspecialty off of ENT that specializes in only doing ear surgery. The eustachian tube (as you probably know) is a tube that goes from the back of your nose to your middle ear to let air pass from the back of your nose to equilibrate the pressure in your middle ear. To function properly the eustachian tube must be closed most of the time and will open intermittently to allow the pressure to equilibrate. It is is open all the time (called patulous eustachian tube) then the individual constantly hears their own voice (too loud) within their ears when they talk, and they can hear (quite loudly) themselves breathe. In fact, the ENT can look at their ear drums when breathing, and see them move with each breath because the eustachian tube is open. The ENT should be able to examine you and tell you if this is actually what is going on, and what treatment options you have if this is what you have.