I am having a throbbing, squeezing pain in left abdomen. It radiates to back and comes and goes. What is wrong with me?

I am a 29 year old obese female; For several (2 at the most) months I have been experiencing a throbbing/squeezing pain in my left upper abdomen, almost right below my rib cage, also pain goes to my back. This is not an every day pain attack but sometimes several times a week....
Thank you for your question regarding abdominal pain. Abdominal pain is one of the most common complaints that doctors receive. It can also be one of the most difficult to diagnose because there are so many areas in the abdomen from which the pain could be coming from. For this reason, I encourage you to visit your primary care physician who can perform a physical examination and ask you more detailed questions about your symptoms. That being said, pain in the upper abdomen which goes toward the back can sometimes be attributed to pancreatitis, a condition whereby the pancreas becomes inflamed. There can be numerous causes for this inflammation which can include gallstones, alcohol use, trauma to the area, and certain medications. Ulcers in the stomach can also cause abdominal pain. Ulcers located in the stomach typically cause pain right after meals, while pain from ulcers in the intestines is usually relieved by eating. Symptoms from ulcers can range from bloating and nausea to a gnawing or burning sensation. Inflammation of the stomach can also cause similar symptoms and may even be caused by a certain bacteria which can be treated. These are just a few of a number of potential causes for your abdominal pain. Please visit your doctor who can better help you manage this pain.

Other Surgeons