I've been experiencing diarrhea and constipation and feeling dizzy and light-headed. What's going on with me?

I've been having multiple problems lately: First: I am experiencing diarrhea and constipation for months now. I would also have abdominal pain and there would be blood in my stool or on the tissue (bright red blood). The area around my anus feels itchy or burns while having a bowel movement. I have done stool tests, but nothing shows up. Could this be an inflammatory bowel disease or something similar? Second: This is a whole different situation that is unrelated to first, where I would get up after sitting or lying down and would feel dizzy/light headed, have blurred/blacked vision, and then I would collapse and start shaking. It's becoming a problem, since I would collapse near stairs or in the shower and hit my head. Could this be neurocardiogenic syncope or something similar?
I am sorry to hear about your symptoms. It sounds like you have multiple symptoms that are significantly impacting your life. In order to determine the cause of these symptoms, you will need to have a doctor review the full details of your medical history as well as perform a thorough physical exam. You may also need to undergo blood testing, stool testing, and imaging studies. Therefore, I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with a gastroenterologist. After collecting this information, the doctor can make recommendations on the most appropriate course of action. Diarrhea can be caused by multiple disorders. It is possible you have an infection (bacterial, viral, or parasitic). Patients with irritable bowel syndrome can experience both diarrhea and constipation. Inflammatory bowel disease, such as ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease, can cause diarrhea that often contains blood. Celiac disease can also cause diarrhea. You will need to be evaluated by a gastroenterologist to determine if any of these are present. Blood in your stool can be caused by hemorrhoids or an anal fissure, which could explain your anal itching and burning. Other possibilities include an arteriovenous malformation, diverticular bleed, or tumor. You will need to be evaluated by a gastroenterologist to determine if any of these are involved.

Other Gastroenterologists

• Dr. Ravi Moparty
    Dr. Ravi Moparty MD
    26103 I-45 North
    The Woodlands, TX 77386
  • Dr. Victor Yang
    Dr. Victor Yang MD
    7737 Southwest Freeway
    Houston, TX 77074
  • Dr. Kamran Ayub
    Dr. Kamran Ayub MD
    9921 Southwest Highway
    Oak Lawn, IL 60453