Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Can you find out if you have non-specific (non gonococcal) urethritis from a urine test?"

ZocdocAnswersCan you find out if you have non-specific (non gonococcal) urethritis from a urine test?


...or do you have to have a swab test to be sure? this is for a woman.


Let me start off by saying that urethritis is quite uncommon in women because of the short length of the urethra. With that said, both gonococcal and non-gonococcal urethritis can be diagnosed with just a urine test and without a swab. I should also say here that if you are having symptoms of burning with urination and pelvic pain, which are some of the symptoms that you might get with urethritis, then it is far more likely that you have a urinary tract infection or cystitis also known as a bladder infection. Of course, in either case, this can be diagnosed with urine test. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician for further testing for this issue. The two of you can discuss your symptoms and he or she can decide whether or not a urine test is sufficient to diagnose whatever's going on with you. If your doctor is concerned about a gonococcal or chlamydial infection, then he or she may also decide to do a pelvic exam to look at your cervix, but this is not necessarily needed. If it does turn out to you have a urinary tract function, then you can get a prescription for antibiotics as needed. Please speak with your physician.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.