ZocdocAnswersCan you find out if you have non-specific (non gonococcal) urethritis from a urine test?

Question

Can you find out if you have non-specific (non gonococcal) urethritis from a urine test?

...or do you have to have a swab test to be sure? this is for a woman.

Answer

Let me start off by saying that urethritis is quite uncommon in women because of the short length of the urethra. With that said, both gonococcal and non-gonococcal urethritis can be diagnosed with just a urine test and without a swab. I should also say here that if you are having symptoms of burning with urination and pelvic pain, which are some of the symptoms that you might get with urethritis, then it is far more likely that you have a urinary tract infection or cystitis also known as a bladder infection. Of course, in either case, this can be diagnosed with urine test. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician for further testing for this issue. The two of you can discuss your symptoms and he or she can decide whether or not a urine test is sufficient to diagnose whatever's going on with you. If your doctor is concerned about a gonococcal or chlamydial infection, then he or she may also decide to do a pelvic exam to look at your cervix, but this is not necessarily needed. If it does turn out to you have a urinary tract function, then you can get a prescription for antibiotics as needed. Please speak with your physician.