ZocdocAnswersIs it possible what they saw was a fertilized egg travelling down the Fallopian tube?

Question

Is it possible what they saw was a fertilized egg travelling down the Fallopian tube?

I was having a heavy 8 day early period with pregnancy symptoms, so I was sent for an ultrasound, urine and blood tests. Pregnancy tests came back negative, but found a spot in my Fallopian tubes during the ultrasound. I'm just wondering if it's possible what they saw was a fertilized egg travelling down the Fallopian tube?

Answer

The answer to your question is that a spot seen in your fallopian tubes using the standard ultrasound is not likely to be a fertilized egg, but I suggest that you schedule an appointment with OB/GYN. The simple reason for this is that a fertilized egg is simply too small to be reliably seen using ultrasound. Because of this, this spot is likely to be something else in your fallopian tubes. The most common thing that might be seen in the fallopian tubes on ultrasound would be spots because of endometriosis. Endometriosis is a condition where the endometrium, which is the inner lining of the uterus, grows abnormally outside of the uterus. The first place for her to go is usually the fallopian tubes and then outside the fallopian tubes into the abdomen. Endometriosis typically causes fairly significant pain during a period and can also cause excessive bleeding. Endometriosis is also a common cause of infertility as a gets in the way of fertilized eggs making their way down from the ovaries to the uterus. Again, I suggest that you schedule an appointment with OB/GYN so that you can further discuss your ultrasound report and he or she can give you a list of possible reasons why this spot in your fallopian tube was seen. Good luck.