ZocdocAnswersDoes Nicotin by itself cause cancer?

Question

Does Nicotin by itself cause cancer?

I use electronic cigarettes with nicotine to quit smoking. Does the nicotine cause cancer?

Answer

The answer to your question is that nicotine by itself does not cause cancer. I recommend that you discuss this further with your primary care physician. Nicotine is a drug that by itself can result in stimulation of some of the body's functions. It results in increased heart rate, increased blood pressure, and increased awareness. It is also possible that it enhances short-term memory. While certainly nicotine is not considered to be healthy in any way, it is not responsible for the risk of lung cancer that goes along smoking. It might be a part of the risk of cardiovascular disease. This is why most physicians would probably argue that the use of electronic cigarettes, while not the best thing, are certainly better than using cigarettes themselves. The tar and other components of tobacco when burned release many carcinogens or compounds that can cause cancer. This is the stuff that you avoid by using electronic cigarette or other nicotine replacement therapies such as the patch or the gum. If you continue to need help keeping yourself off cigarettes, I would suggest to schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. The two of you can discuss what options are out there other than electronic cigarettes such as nicotine replacement therapy and also medications that can reduce cravings. Good luck.