I have experienced recently several episodes of chocking. What could it be?

i can still breath but feels like a block in throat, when i try liquid it won't go down it gags back up. when i finally am able to go on i am left with soreness and pain in chest, a heavy feeling..
Thank you for your question regarding choking, difficulty swallowing, and chest pain. There are many follow up questions I would want to ask you because your symptoms could be indicative of benign to potentially worrisome conditions. Therefore, I encourage you to visit your doctor who can perform a physical examination and better understand the source of your symptoms. Sometimes, patients will have the sensation of a lump in their throat, but upon investigation, no sign of true obstruction or difficulty in swallowing. This is known as having globus, and it may point at deeper anxiety or depression in the patient. Other conditions, such as cancer, can lead to a physical obstruction within the esophagus that causes problems with swallowing solid foods initially. There are also conditions that may present with difficulty swallowing liquids and solids. Achalasia is one such condition where there is a problem with the ability of the lower esophagus to fully relax and peristalsis is compromised. This leads to symptoms such as reflux, chest pain, regurgitation of undigested food, and eventually weight loss. Also, anyone who is experiencing chest pain should seek out the advice of their doctor. Especially in women, heart attacks can present with atypical symptoms which should be further explored by a physician.

Other Gastroenterologists