ZocdocAnswersI have been loosing weight without doing anything. What is wrong?

Question

I have been loosing weight without doing anything. What is wrong?

i eat really fatty food all the time since i started university yet my weight is going down a few pounds each week, i have also had some really terrible headaches.

Answer

Thank you for your question, and I can understand why your symptoms are concerning to you. In order to provide an accurate diagnosis, I would need more information. I would need to review your entire medical history and perform a thorough physical exam. In addition, you may need further testing, such as blood tests. Only after collecting this information will it be possible to offer a diagnosis. Therefore, I strongly encourage you to discuss these issues with a primary care physician. Unexplained weight loss has many potential causes. In some instances, it can be caused by a tumor or malignancy due to increased metabolic demands of the body in these situations. Some metabolic disorders, such as hyperthyroidism, can cause unexplained weight loss. Other systemic illnesses, such as autoimmune disorders or infections, can cause weight loss. Similar, disorders that cause impaired absorption of nutrients, such as issues with the intestines, can lead to weight loss. Diabetes can also present with weight loss. You will need to discuss these possibilities with a primary care physician. There are many different types of headaches with a variety of causes. I would need more information to determine the cause of your headaches, and I recommend you discuss them with a primary care physician.