ZocdocAnswers7 months after twisting my knee I am still having pains. What could it be?

Question

7 months after twisting my knee I am still having pains. What could it be?

Oneday at work I twisted my knee and heard a pop..I have had xrays and two MRIs ams both came back negative.. I have pain on the aide of my knee and can barely put full body weight on my left knee..it pops.locks up..swells and sometimes very sensitive... one day at worm I had a severe pain and it felt as if someone was tickling my knee..I have dome weeks of therapy and taken meds but still 7 months after twisting my knee I'm having pains..help. Why the doctors can't find anything on my MRI?

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your pain, and it is certainly puzzling that your doctor have not been able to determine a cause despite several imaging studies. In order to provide an accurate answer, a doctor would need to review the details of your medical therapy and also perform a thorough physical exam. Therefore, I encourage you to schedule an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon. After collecting this information, the doctor can make recommendations on the next most appropriate steps. There are many different structures in the knee that could be causing your pain. You could have damaged one of the ligaments that help stabilize the knee joint, such as the ACL, MCL, or PCL, although this would typically show up on an MRI. You may have damaged the meniscus, or piece of cartilage cushioning the joint. In patients with persistent pain, this sometimes requires surgical intervention. You may be suffering from osteoarthritis of the joint. There are multiple bursa, or fluid filled sacs, that provide cushioning of the joint. Inflammation of these can cause pain. Damage to one of the muscles controlling the joint or the bones of the joint can cause pain. I urge you to discuss these possibilities with an orthopedic surgeon.